The 9 hole/18 tee box layout has wonderful views over Dublin Bay, the Hill of Howth, Bray Head and beyond. The Leadmines Chimney on a neighbouring hill catches the eye to the south, and the 2-Rock and 3-Rock Mountains stand impressively to the south-west. The course still has areas of the original heathland turf, and has always featured an abundance of hawthorn trees, bracken and gorse, to provide a strong challenge to golfers of all levels. As described in the book ‘On Carrickmines Hill’ which was published on its centenary, the original clubhouse was designed by Richard Orpen and was erected in 1901. It was added to over the years, but was destroyed by fire in 1972. The new clubhouse, designed by Carrickmines member George McCaw, has hosted many memorable occasions over the years.