Club zur Vahr was, from its opening in the early 1900s to the outbreak of the Second World War, an elegant country club that catered to the elite of Bremen, offering, in addition to a rather crude golf course, hockey, polo, skeet and tennis. The site was under American occupation from the end of the war until it was returned to German control in 1952; the present Garlstedter Heide course was laid out eleven years later. The setting was by that time heavily wooded, and the trees, together with the general tightness of the layout, created a challenge for the membership of the club. Recent renovations, including the expansion of driving lines and the realignment of bunkers, have not altered the feel of the place. Like Scotland's Glasgow Golf Club, the Garlstedter Heide has a nine inside the city limits and a complete eighteen on the edge of town for weekend use.