The Open Championship debuted in 1860 at Prestwick, which makes the club a living piece of golf history, where players of today can walk the same fairways plied by generations of the famous and the forgotten. This club really retains its classic look; thus, for example, the third hole features a Cardinal bunker that would have been a real challenge for those playing against the breeze with hickory-shafted clubs and gutties. The layout has of course been lengthened, though mainly back from the tees, so as not to disturb the integrity of the course. The finishing four in particular embody a bygone era with their tight fairways, clumps of heather, blind shots across sand mounds and even a pair of what were bogey-fours but are now in range of a single drive. Indeed, it's a wonder that these holes haven't been adopted by some historical preservation society and taken out of play.
HRH Edward, Prince of Wales, Earl of Carrick was Captain of Prestwick Golf Club in 1934, having been Captain of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, St Andrews in 1922.The Club plays an annual match against its near neighbour, Royal Troon, which comprises foursomes games starting at one course and finishing at the other. In the middle of each round the players have to go ‘cross country’ to reach the other course.
In recent years Prestwick has hosted a number of national amateur events. The 2013 British Ladies’ Open Amateur Strokeplay Championship, the 100th playing of the Scottish Ladies Amateur Championship and the British Boys Championship.