The City of Appleton, founded in 1857, opened Appleton Municipal Golf Course on Labor Day in 1928 as a nine-hole course which was designed by local golfers. Three years later, city park officials considered purchasing adjacent land to expand the course to 18 holes, but the Appleton Park Board felt the land cost was too high. By 1940, however, talk resumed regarding the purchase of an adjacent 87-acre farm with the mortgage to be repaid by golf fees. The option was not considered because the Knuth Farm was south of the existing golf course and outside the City limits. A generous gift from Estelle Reid allowed the golf course to expand from its original 9 holes to 18. Estelle, the daughter of Thomas Reid former owner and editor of The Appleton Post bequeathed her money to many organizations which enhanced the City of Appleton. First, her money established a Library Science scholarship at Lawrence University, and second she allocated funds to improve recreational opportunities through parks and playgrounds.