In 1924, the Puget Mill Company (a Pope & Talbot subsidiary) dedicated 200 acres of its property consisting of old growth timber and rolling fields for the creation of a residential community surrounded by an 18 hole golf course which came to be known as Broadmoor. In 1917, the building of the Montlake Ship Canal lowered the level of Lake Washington by about nine feet. This provided a great deal of additional property for the golf course, including the current 18th hole.The golf course was designed by A. Vernon “Mac” Macan, one of the leading golf course architects of the time. Macan designed many golf courses in the Western United States and Canada including Inglewood, and Overlake and Fircrest in Tacoma, to name just a few. Broadmoor’s golf course, as designed by Macan, is a classic woodlands course with gently twisting fairways bordered by tall firs. As originally laid out, the nines were reversed, with the 10th tee box on the present putting green, hitting down the hill to a green on the present parking lot.Opening Day for Broadmoor Golf Course was April 16, 1927. The first drive was hit by President Sam Hedges with a “glistening silver embossed steel staff driver”. He split the first fairway with a “220 yard screamer”. The ball he hit on that first shot is on display in the trophy case at Broadmoor. Opening day included golf competition for women and men, including low net and long drive; however, “not more than one trophy per person” was stipulated! Plans were underway for an elegant $100,000 club house which opened a year and five days later.