Members and their guests
The Roseburg Country Club was founded in 1922 with the purchase of 93. 30 acres of land. The Club incorporated on September 25th, 1922 and hired R. W. Jones to design the original clubhouse. Construction was completed in 1923 at the cost of $5,300. 00. The Club enjoyed growth and prosperity until the Great Depression. The economic chaos of the time was overcome by the willingness and self-sacrifice of it’s members. Records indicate that the Club reorganized and since that time has steadily made additions and improvements.
By 1960 the original Clubhouse was in need of renovation. At that time the Club’s membership voted to construct a new facility. The second Clubhouse was built by Jack Mathis Construction of Roseburg. In 1968 a $60,000 irrigation project was completed.
The 1970s brought many changes. During 1976 new cart paths were constructed throughout the golf course. By 1978 the membership voted to expand the Roseburg Country Club to an 18-Hole Golf Course. In 1979 sixty-two additional acres were purchased and Gary Roger Baird Inc. was hired to design the golf course. Construction commenced and the Club celebrated the completion in 1980. The Club prospered with a full membership and needed to create a waiting list for prospective members.
Membership took on a new project again in 1993. Primarily through volunteer labor, the membership constructed a maintenance facility to house the golf course equipment and staff. By 1998 the membership voted to elevate the Club’s course to a par 72. This ten month project included the renovation of four holes and the driving range, resulting in the desired par 72 and increasing year-round playability.
Shortly thereafter the membership participated in a survey to evaluate future plans for the Club. The outcome of this survey revealed that a majority of our members were in favor of improvements to our clubhouse and golf course, along with the desire to have a new swimming pool facility. With this type of membership support, the first undertaking was geared towards the golf course. New greens were built along with an aggressive sand capping campaign and extensive irrigation changes.
The next undertaking was the swimming pool facility. Construction was completed in 2002, giving the Roseburg Country Club one of the finest outdoor facilities in Douglas County, along with another enhancement for family membership.
The largest undertaking was a new clubhouse. Many areas of the current clubhouse were failing, so solutions were proposed, reviewed, refined and re-analyzed. After extensive consideration and meetings with contractors, architects and consultants, the Board of Directors made the decision to build a new facility, using basically the same building footprint as before. Goals and concepts were lined out in advance for the entire membership.