In May 1926 James H. Hudson and A. S. Eldridge, both golf enthusiasts from Guilford, were seeking a spot on which they could practice their game. The Wharff Farm was suggested and after looking over the grounds they concluded that this was an ideal place for a golf course.
In less than an hour Mr. Hudson had raised the money among Guilford business men to purchase the property. The Wharff farm was comprised of 165 acres situated on the north side of the Guilford to Dover-Foxcroft Road – about 1.75 miles from Guilford Village.
The farm buildings were remodeled to create a pro shop and club house. A nine-hole golf course was developed. In 1970 a fire destroyed the farm buildings and a new modern split-level clubhouse was built.