Seth Raynor, A. W. Tillinghast, Robert Trent Jones Sr.
Members and their guests
The Country Club of Fairfield was founded in 1914 on site then known as Mosquito Hill where once onions had been farmed. The original course was designed by Seth Raynor, who had studied and collaborated with the great C. B. Macdonald, the US Amateur champ famous for founding the National. A great deal of work was done to protect the low-lying, wetlands site from the sea before the course was opened in 1921. Raynor, on one of his first solo outings as an architect, took his cues from the way courses he had seen in England made the most of level ground, the best known example being St. Andrews, in shaping Fairfield's links-style layout. Over the years A. W. Tillinghast did some tweaking, as did Robert Trent Jones, but the classic feel remains. The layout is sufficiently challenging to have attracted the Met PGA Championship, Met Open and Connecticut Open.