Harry S.Colt & Charles H. Allison
The Golf Club Patriziale Ascona began in the late 1920s with an individual nine; a second set of holes of equal number was designed a few years later by Harry S. Colt and Charles Alison, though the full eighteen did not open until 1957, when the work was overseen by C. K. Cotton. The idyllic setting on a big body of water called Maggiore is framed by alpine peaks and this body of water, which is a popular destination for recreation activities in the warmer months. The place where golf is played itself is quite level, and the confines of the grounds mean that a few of the holes run side-by-side, separated by trees. Water is a factor in the form of creeks, which help nourish the plentiful blossoming plants. The row of holes is not long, but it is well proportioned and presents some challenges.