Of the seven courses that make up the St. Andrews complex, the Old begins and ends at the edge of the old town, and four others are close by. There would seem to be relatively little room between the Old's front nine and the surf, but a pair of courses has been wedged onto that thin piece of ground. Both of these courses, the Jubilee and the New, are over a century old (the former originating in 1893, the former in 1895) and of a length greater than 6000 meters. But whereas the Jubilee was given a thorough renovation a while ago, the New has been allowed to retain its classic lines. The land on which all of these courses were constructed is fairly level, and what makes them distinctive are the rolling fairways and contoured greens, and the way the brush and bare ground rough is often in play.