James Braid, Willie Fernie
Located on the eastern edge of Paisley, Ralston Golf Club was established in 1904 and the course is by now one of mature parkland. It is laid out on and around one of the many drumlins which are scattered across the area. These are hills created by retreating ice sheets at the end of the last ice age, roughly oval in plan and typically a few hundred yards long. Many courses in the area are built on such features providing them with an interesting and undulating topography. This is true at Ralston where some very enjoyable driving holes have been created by using the natural contours. The 2nd and 18th holes are prime examples. Further benefits derived from the course's situation are the fine views from points around the course, taking in Leverndale's imposing tower also on a drumlin to the southwest, the townscape of Paisley to the west, the Kilpatrick Hills to the north with the southwestern Highlands beyond and, to the northeast, Glasgow and the Campsie Hills. An attractive setting which only adds to the pleasure of playing this fine venue.