Willie Park, Jr., Alister MacKenzie, Fred Hawtree, James Braid
Of all the clubs operating anywhere in the world today, only three existed when Bruntsfield Links Golfing Society was established in 1761. The original location was at the foot of Edinburgh Castle, and after changing locations several times the club took up residence on its current grounds a few miles outside Edinburgh in 1898. The first course here was designed by Willie Park Jr., and it offers an excellent panorama of the Firth of Forth, though it is not a links but rather vintage parkland. Alister MacKenzie did some work in 1922, as did James Braid in 1930, and in the early Seventies Fred Hawtree carried out major renovations. Recent tournaments at Bruntsfield include the 1998 British Seniors Amateur, the 2001 Scottish Mid Amateur and the 2006 Lothians Championship. For despite its modest length, the course record is a 65. The fine classic clubhouse, which dates to 1899, offers excellent fare.