There was only one other club in New Zealand when Christchurch was founded way back in 1873. The Shirley Links course was built some forty years later, beginning with a single nine that was then increased to a full eighteen holes in the 1920s. During this period Christchurch was at the top of the New Zealand golf heap, with club members winning some of the first New Zealand Amateur and Open Championships, and the club itself going on to attract ten New Zealand Opens. More recently, the Eisenhower Trophy was played here in 1990. After further alterations over the years, Peter Thomson was given the task of a thorough renovation in 1997, and the club hosted the New Zealand Amateur again in 2002. The setting is urban parkland, so there is not much space for expansion, but there is still hope of attracting a major event.