Royal Selangor Golf Club was founded in 1893, and moved to its present location three decades later. The club earned a great reputation in the period before World War II, in which it was nearly completely ruined. Restoration work started almost immediately, however, and the accurate reclamation of the old site marked an important milestone in the community's recovery from wartime trauma. More than half a century later, that trauma is now safely in the past, and subsequent refurbishment has not been as reverential, though the work that has been carried out on the Old Course perhaps cleaves closer to the classic layout than that done to the club's other courses, an eighteen and shorter nine that are of similar vintage. Thus the Old remains under 6400 meters, though fairways are now better defined and the bunkers are now located where they can challenge better players.