In 1902, the residents of the area formed the Pekin Park District. The Pavilion. located on the southwest edge of Mineral Springs Park, was built in 1905 for $15,000. The park was once a cow pasture and the Lagoon was a watering hole for cows. Sulfur water was struck in 1879 and Pekin became a Mecca for vacationers who came to enjoy the water, believed to have healthful qualities. Water from the sulfur well was turned into the pond, and it enlarged into a fairly large lake. Thus, the Lagoon was formed. Pleasure boats and a large band stand were placed in the lake.