Formed in 1952 as part of ICI Wilton's Recreation Club, golf matches initially had to be played on other courses as the Club did not have a Golf Course. In 1954 work started on the construction of a 9-hole golf course and a well-known golf architect, Mr. J. F. S. Morrison, of Colt Allison & Morrison was employed to design the layout. The course was constructed on parkland in front of Wilton Castle and financed by ICI.One of the highlights in 1957 was the visit of Henry Cotton to play a 4-ball exhibition round. The match was watched by over 600 spectators. Coming to the last hole the match was all square, but from 30 yards Henry chipped in to win the match. Plans and proposals were made to extend the course to 18 holes. The new holes were ready for play in March 1966. The extended course and a new clubhouse were officially opened in May 1967. The popularity of the Golf Club continued to the extent that in 1974 membership, which then stood at over 1000, was closed to all categories.