A fine, tight inland course recognised by the R&A as an Open Qualifying venue and a regular host for EGU and County events. Originally laid out in 1890, the Professional Golfer appointed to design the initial layout is sadly unknown although James Braid, most famous for his creation of the King's and Queen's courses at Gleaneagles, made a number of design changes including the new Par 3 5th hole which came into play in 1929. It is heavily wooded with tree-lined fairways and is more than capable of defending itself against longer hitters with small and undulating greens. It is a course where both straight driving and attention to well-placed bunkers is essential. Although it has few slopes and affords easy walking, it provides an entertaining battleground and examination for golfers of all abilities.