H. S. Colt
Whittington Heath Golf Club which is one of the oldest in England and has been described by Martin Hawtree as “Classic golfing country”. According to the 1860 Post Office Directory, Whittington Heath comprised 338 acres on the south-east side of the village and was an open sheep walk, where the Lichfield Races were held. The Lichfield Races had been moved to Whittington Heath from Fradley in 1702 and during the eighteenth century became one of the leading meetings of the Midlands. In the early 1740s the races were held in the first week of September and lasted two days, extending to three in 1744, and formed the focus for a great social occasion with well-attended public breakfasts and dinners, balls and concerts taking place and in and around Lichfield. The line of the course was apparently altered in the early 1740s to give spectators a better view. By the 1750s Lichfield was the only race course in Staffordshire.