The Torquay New Golf Course Company Limited was incorporated in 1909 and a large tract of land was let to the Company. The lands were certain farm pastures at Petitor, in use at Easter for a steeplechase meeting, and, being within the Urban District of St Marychurch and scenically attractive, were regarded as ideally suitable for golf. The professional of the Links at Westward Ho! was instructed to layout the new course.On 20th May 1911, the new clubhouse was opened, and had the appearance of a cricket pavilion. The opening was celebrated with an exhibition match over 18 holes in which were engaged two of the reigning peers of Golf, Harry Vardon and J.H. Taylor, at a fee of ten guineas each, with amateurs C.V.L. Hooman and A.G.M. Croome.To engage the services of Vardon and Taylor at that period was a superb effort. Harry Vardon had already won 'The Open Championship' on four occasions and he went on to win again 2 months after opening Torquay Golf Club, in July 1911. He still holds the record of Open Championship titles in: 1896, 1898, 1899, 1903, 1911 and 1914.