Shirehampton village the Club was founded in 1904. It was agreed to rent land from the Kings Weston Estate sufficient for an initial nine hole course. Over the next two years the course was completed and greens were fenced with chicken wire to protect them from the sheep and cattle that grazed the fairways. By 1907 the course had been extended to eighteen holes and the first clubhouse was erected. In 1918 the land occupied by the course was bequeathed to the National Trust from whom it is now rentedDuring the second world war the course was reduced to 9 holes with the remainder being used as an Army Camp for US troops. One hole is called 'America' to this day. By June 1952 all 18 holes were once again in play and the scars of war had disappeared.Famous for its connection with sea and ships, the course was often used by officers and crew from ships docked at Avonmouth. They held the club in such high regard that in 1915 they donated a trophy named the 'Officers Cup' which is today the oldest competed for at the club.