Originally designed as a nine hole course for ladies in 1899 the course has been substantially redesigned and reconfigured since then and now offers as stern, if shorter, test of golf as its next door neighbour. The West opens quietly with little to trouble the straight hitter, although wayward shots will disappear into the trees that line the narrow fairways. The lack of bunkers does not mean any lack of hazards as there are streams, small raised greens with treacherous run offs, ponds and streams that all need to be negotiated. The finishing holes are outstanding, from the stroke one 450 yard 14th to the 435 yard 18th, which is generally reckoned to be the best hole on either course with two streams to clear and lots of water out left to catch an errant tee shot. A par four here is something to be very pleased with. As part of its 125th anniversary the club is offering special packages for groups and individual visitors keen to sample the historic challenge both courses of this traditional members’ club provide. Within 20 minutes from London Gatwick airport with two first class hotels nearby, where guests of Ashdown can obtain concessionary rates.