The Heworth Golf Club was opened in June 1912 originally as a nine hole course and extended to eighteen holes in 1976. The course now plays as a parkland course with tree-lined holes, excellent fairways and some of the best greens in the North East of England. It was not always like that - until fairly recently the course played and looked more like an inland links course with holes seperated by rough not trees, fast running fairways and large firm greens. The course currently stands at a 6,498 yards par 71 (SSS 71) from the white tees, a 6,203 yards par 71 (SSS 69) from the yellow tees and a 5,643 yards par 73 (SSS 73) from the red tees. It is a good test of golf for all standards of golfer. The first three holes and the last six holes make up the original nine holes and include most of the shorter holes where a player would expect to build a good score. However, hole 4 to hole 12 are a much tougher test of golf and include four par 4 holes over 400 yards and two tough par 5 holes. The two finishing holes deserve a special mention as they are as challenging as any on the course. Hole 17 is a 409 yards par 4 which plays slightly up hill and normally into the prevailing wind. The green - the best green on the course - is a three tier sloping green which is not only difficult on approach but will test even the best putters. Hole 18 is a 230 yards par 3 for the men (a slightly less demanding par 4 for the women) which is out of range for many golfers but a very satifying par for all.