Gotts Park Mansion House and home of Gotts Park Golf Club is situated 3 miles west of Leeds City centre and was formally known as Armley House. In 1812 Benjamin Gott, a prominent Leeds business man and mill owner, bought the house for his mother-in-law. When she passed away in 1816 Gott had the house rebuilt and took up residence himself. Gott employed the renowned architect Sir Robert Smirke to re-design the house in a mock Grecian villa style. Amongst Smirke’s other projects was the British Museum in London and although on a much smaller scale there are striking similarities between the two buildings. At the time the landscaping was carried out by Humprey Repton again a man well respected in his field.