With the first signs of occupation dating back to the Roman period, Fairthorne Manor is steeped in history.
From the first recorded occupant, William de la Hulle in 1294, the estate remained in a group of families for some 300 years before eventually becoming the home in 1805 to writer, reformer and MP, William Cobbett. 15 years on from his arrival, Cobbett fell on hard times and much of his estates were sold. In the mid 19th century, the arrival of the railways and a station in Botley resulted in the construction of a large number of large country homes for wealthy town dwellers, including Fairthorne Manor in 1854.
Originally built for Clement Milward QC, the house and estate were purchased by the Burrell family in 1878 for £52,000 who became great supporters of the local community until the last family member passed away in 1924. The Burrington family purchased the property and remained owners until mid-way through World War II, when the army resided in part of the house and the Manor was visited by Churchill, Montgomery and Eisenhower. In 1946, the YMCA purchased the property to accommodate TS Warfleet for £8,500.