Tom Simpson, Mackenzie Ross
The earliest records of golf being played in Carlisle go back to 1876 with the first 9 hole course in the City being established in 1880. To put these dates in context it is interesting to note that the first ‘Open’ took place at Prestwick Golf Club in 1860 with the famous Claret Jug Trophy being made in 1873. The location of the course in Carlisle has changed a number of times from the ‘Swifts Race Course’ up to 1890 when the club moved to Dalston Green and then back to ‘The Swifts’. In those days Carlisle was a winter only club as the course was needed for agricultural purposes in the summer and a decision was taken in 1895 to form the Carlisle and Silloth Golf Club with the opportunity to play year round at Silloth and in the winter at Dalston, Carlisle. In 1908 a decision was taken to form a year round course in Carlisle which resulted in a move to Durran Hill Park in Carlisle and the Carlisle City Golf Club was formed as an independent golf club.