The course was originally located on the ‘Waterloo Plain’ but re-located in 1901 to ‘High Park’, which is the current location. The reason for the move was that the Marquis wanted to produce hay on the Waterloo Plain! The club developed slowly in the early days but play nevertheless continued during the Great War, during which time a Croquet Club was formed with part of the course being used in the 1920’s by the Hockey Club. Modernisation came to BPGC in 1930 with the purchase of a tractor and the subsequent committee squabbles about the building of a shed for its storage, which is a far cry from the very latest John Deere and JCB equipment the club has today. Although part of the course was closed in 1942 during the Second World War, nine holes were always kept in playing condition. Play on the course has been continuous throughout its history, making it one of the most established courses in the country.