Around 1920, some employees of the Otis Elevator and Electric Wheel Company received permission from the Wattman family to use the cow pasture on 30th Street across from Electric Wheel as a practice field for golf. They later were given permission to build three greens guarded by a barbed wire fence to keep out cows. By playing the holes three times, a nine-hole course was formed. As more people became interested in golf, a club was formed, a lease was obtained for 42 acres of land and the first by-laws were adopted on Aug. 24, 1922. Cedar Crest was incorporated on April 9, 1930. After the Great Depression, Moorman Manufacturing Company bought the land housing the golf course and leased it to Cedar Crest. As Moorman's began to grow and needed more space for its facilities, the club was twice force to move. For the second move in 1968, the company built a clubhouse for Cedar Crest at the corner of 36th and Katherine Road. In 1975, club members voted to buy the current 68 acres on North 36th street about a mile and a half north of 36th and Katerine Road. Most of the work in building the 5,789-yard course was done by club members. The course and clubhouse opened Feb. 1, 1979.