Prolific American architect Albert Warren "Tillie" Tillinghast designed the course at the historic Baltimore Country Club in 1924, and while it is not his most memorable layout, it nicely embodies what made him distinctive as a designer. The Baltimore East is a genuine parkland layout set on an excellent piece of rural terrain that comes alive in the autumn when the leaves change. The course underwent extensive renovations overseen by Brian Silva in the early Nineties and for a while very much bore his stamp, though subsequent work by Keith Foster in 2015 has recaptured Tillie's original layout. The 6109-meters length is no longer sufficient for modern championship play, so the course's days as a major tournament draw are behind it. But it is very much worth playing for the nostalgic feel and as an example of one step in the evolution of the game in the US.
Baltimore Country Club’s second course at Five Farms, the West, was redesigned in 1990 by Bob Cupp and Champions Tour member and World Golf Hall of Fame member, Tom Kite. In 2012, the course was renovated under the direction of Keith Foster. The Par 72 West Course gives members two outstanding golf courses to choose from on a daily basis.
A. W. Tillinghast, Brian Silva