A winding mile above the town of Sewickley, the first 18-hole golf course in Western Pennsylvania can be found. The site, of course, is Allegheny Country Club, a turn-of-the-century collection of rambling buildings dedicated to the leisure and pursuit of various sports.
Allegheny Country Club had its origin in 1895, but not at its present location. At California and Brighton Avenues on Pittsburgh's North Side, the first site of the club, a 6-hole golf course as well as tennis courts and a clubhouse were constructed. The golf course has changed quite a bit since it was designed by Donald Ross, the famous golf course architect. According to reliable information, there are thirty-two abandoned greens on the property. In 1945 the first seven holes of the back nine were completely remodeled. Presently, an exciting master plan for the golf course, developed by talented golf course architect, Gil Hanse, is well-underway. The plan is dedicated to restoring Donald Ross' classic design.
Tom Bendelow, Donald Ross