In the year 1876, ten prominent Airdrie business men met to discuss the forming of a golf club. So active and dedicated were they that by 14th June 1877, a field had been acquired at Drumbathie Farm from Mr Armour and the laying out of six holes completed. The first Captain of the new Airdrie Private Golf Club was a Mr Robert Watt and the Watt Medal which he presented in that year is still one of the club’s principal competitions. The entry fee for the new club was fixed at 10s 6d with an annual subscription of 7s 6d. The income for the first year of 1877 was £14 2s 6d. Even in these early days there were lease problems and the course had to be moved to a new piece of ground on the old Race Course, also in Drumbathie Road. This was in April, 1878. Six holes were again laid out and the game went on undisturbed except for the problems caused by horses being exercised on the golf course, golf balls being lost down a pit-shaft near one of the holes and cattle grazing on the fairways.