Members and their guests
The Oberlin Golf Association was officially formed on Oct. 2, 1899, following the election of officers. Henry W. Matlack, a professor of organ and harmony at Oberlin College, served as the association’s first president. Although the details surrounding the group’s early golf games are sketchy, documentation suggests that it was not long before tournaments and a handicap system were in place. A writer for the Oberlin News reported that for the sum of 25 cents, a good many players — women as well as men — played the “recently fitted up” golf links, which was the “pasture lot of William Evans on Morgan Street.” Faculty, students and townspeople had apparently worked together to lay out and shape a nine-hole course on the southwest edge of town.