Members and their guests
First, a little history: Oakwood Country Club is the outgrowth of a small group of men who would gather on weekends at a little cottage near Navarre called the Wade Inn. Early in 1922, Henry Firestone gave these men a grant of land on what was known as the Firestone Farm. The site is where Oakwood is now located. Charter members included Adam Shirk, Bill Leed, George Wade, Paul Walton, Bill Clark, Paul Hartung, Frank Cavender, Cal Zimmer, Earl Young, Warren Weimer and Nate Wright. Their first on-site club house was built with their own hands and cost $1,200. Plans were made and dreams began to take form. Horses and plows dug the foundation and material was frugally acquired. When an old Canton bank building was razed, the large beam in the building was acquired. The oak paneling in the current ballroom came from the bank boardroom. The members were diligent workers and the building was quickly under roof, provided with power and gained its own life. It is rumored that a great deal of the project planning and hard work was supplemented by the barrels of fortification found in the Firestone basement bar.