Devereux Emmet, Robert Trent Jones Sr., Rees Jones
Members and their guests
The Blue Course
Congressional Country Club in the DC suburbs takes its name from the fact that membership has included congressmen, senior officials and even presidents since it opened in 1921. The Blue Course was the work of legendary designer Donald Ross, and is the more prestigious of the two eighteens here. Ross's vision largely remains intact, though many minor alterations have been made over the years. The US Open Championship was played here in 1964 and again in 1997, and in preparation for the latter competition Rees Jones refurbished the greens, converting most of them into clover leafs with 3-4 pin positions, and arranged the bunkering along the fairways to correspond to the distances that the pros drive. There is near the clubhouse a short hole that causes some consternation, having served as the 18th in 1997 and now serving as the 10th. This quibble aside, Congressional is a great club with a correspondingly luxurious clubhouse.
The Gold Course
The Gold Course has always been shorter than its cousin. It has been renovated twice; the first time by George Fazio and Tom Fazio redoing the final nine holes in 1977. And the second time in 2000, the course got a complete renovation by Arthur Hills. Not only did Hills lengthen the course, he also reconstructed the tees, fairways, greens, and cart paths. The course is now as challenging as the Blue Course. It now measures 6,844 yards (6,258 m) from the back tees. It is a par 71 with a slope rating of 73.6/135.