When Bill Powell encountered racial discrimination on the golf course after returning home from World War II, he decided to build his own place to play, one where people of all colors would be welcome. In 1946 he established Clearview Golf Club in East Canton, Ohio: America's Course.
With the help of his children and his late wife, Marcella, "Mr. P" carved nine holes out of farmland while working nights as a security guard. He opened Clearview to the public in 1948 and in 1978 expanded it to 18 holes.
The only course designed, built, owned, and operated by an African American, Clearview was named a National Historic Site by the U.S. Department of the Interior in 2001. It garnered Ohio Historic Site recognition the same year.