Clayton Golf Club was formed at a meeting held at the Clayton Board School on the 20th of April 1906. The club was formerly opened on the 19th May 1906. Elected President was Thomas Priestley Esq.J.P. a former Lord Mayor of Bradford and elected Captain was Mr. Herbert Robertshaw. The land on which the course would be built was originally rented from local farmers, who ensured they kept full grazing rights for their livestock. The course at this time was cut by using a horse drawn mower. The course was difficult to play, not only because of the animals but because the greens had to be fenced for protection. In 1909, the club rented a clubhouse at 23 Lavinia Terrace, from Mr. Asa Briggs at a weekly rental of six shillings and two pence per week. The club progressed well in the early years, but was held back during the 1914-1918 war due to lack of members and financial constraints, and loans of £25 had to be obtained from members. A massive step forward in the clubs fortunes occurred in 1964 when the club was able to purchase part of the course from a local farmer named Pickup, at what was then an expensive £7.750. This was financed by a government loan and a loan from Mr. W Holden a former President and Captain of the club.