The par-64 Old Course at the Portstewart Golf Club was built in 1894, and to this day it continues to provide enjoyable golf. About thirty years later, Willie Park Jr., whose large role in the history of course architecture tends to be underestimated, was enlisted to design a more challenging layout. Some time after this, the club acquired a neighboring tract of land known as Thirsty Hollow, where a local educator named Des Griffin laid out the Strand Course; a third course on the site, the Riverside, offers somewhat less demanding golf. Situated mainly on a peninsula covered with sand dunes near where the River Bann empties into the Atlantic, these are true links courses. A spacious contemporary clubhouse has been constructed to serve the three courses. All in all, Portstewart provides a wonderful selection of golfing experiences, and a visitor could easily spend an entire week enjoying the possibilities.