The Augusta Golf Company, owner of Augusta Country Club, was founded on June 30, 1916 by Guy Gannett, Percy V. Hill, and Walter S. Wyman. They believed that the area needed a golf course and country club. To make this dream come true, they purchased the Brainyard Farm, including a home and 53 acres of land on Route 202, or what was then called the Augusta-Winthrop highway. The home was used for many years to house the greenskeeper. During the summer of 1916, the first 9 holes were constructed on the farm land.